Pages

6/21/11

Cock-a-Doodle-Do

Rhubarb moved into the garage after announcing to the entire neighborhood  that he was in fact a he.
At the mention of culling him (that is a nice word for eating) some of the kids started crying and even though I grew up with eating most of our food fresh, I never had to deal with my children's innocent eyes looking up at me as I mentioned eating their pet.
But, we feel it could offer many valuable lessons, so...
Being the kind and thoughtful parents that we are, Mr. Pilot and I put the kids to bed and started googling how to cull a chicken.  Truthfully, I could probably remember how to do it even thought it has been a long time since I have assisted with any sort of culling, but I might wimp out and my husband is a former city boy and wouldn't even know where to begin...   

There is an impressive amount of information about how to cull a chicken on the web.  We learned that even 11 year olds can run chicken processing businesses. 
We came across the whizbang chicken plucker  
and found it to be quite~uhm~interesting.  After several gasps and laughs and chicken-with-its-head-cut-off jokes, we decided on running an ad at the local farm supply store first, in hopes that someone might want him.  (yeah, I am a wimp) but we agreed to mentally prepare for another method since it wouldn't be right to keep him in the garage for long.  So, here is the add we posted: 

OOPS!
Rosemary Rhubarb needs a new home.

Our 12 week old Maran Cockerel (April 1st)
was supposed to be a hen.
Please call if you are interested in giving Rhubarb a nice new home.
________________________________  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE comments! We ask that you please remember due to the nature of Mr. Pilot's business, we do NOT use names for our safety. Your comment will only be published if you use only our nicknames. Thanks for understanding.