Pages

8/7/09

a new school year is in the air

It is always so exciting when our new curriculum arrives. This time, the box was heavy. Very heavy. In 5 years of schooling this is the most excited I have been for a new school year. We are trying a totally different approach to schooling based on this book
I started reading this book a few years ago and it meant nothing to me. I thought it might be written in a secret code or something because it didn't make a bit of sense to me. This year though, everything is different. It makes perfect sense; the veil has been removed from my eyes. We are going to be Simple, Separate, Diligent, Disciplined, and Deliberate. If that doesn't sound exciting to you, you should read the book.

In addition to studying the Bible we will be learning through Literature. We've covered the 3 R's

For Reading ~ Guys, Boy, and Sis will be doing Early American History Intermediate and History of the Horse by Beautiful Feet. This is written at a 5/6 grade level and some of the reading will be over Sis's head, so we are also doing Character Through Literature Primary for Sis and Butter.

For Math ~ we are doing Mental Math Primary and Middle Grades and dad has put together some sweet notebooks with math problems for each child to work on when we are shopping. It is awesome!

For Writing ~ we are using Handwriting Without Tears and will be writing our own copies of George Washington's Rules of Civility. I think we’d all be better off if everyone learned Mr. Washington’s rules.

We are very excited to read all of these wonderful books and learn from the great men that founded our country. It is going to be an awesome year.

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, this sounds so exciting...and BASIC. I love it!! We need to get together so I can learn more from you...oh, that's right, YOU LEFT US!! I miss you much. But I'm checking up on you often. I have a blog now too, I will send you the link. So much love...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordered the book the other day, it should be here soon. Wish we could come see you guys, but we went camping this weekend, and it was terrible, so I don't think it will happen any time soon. Hope you all are doing great, we miss you tons! Thanks for the update! Love y'all!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I never responded about our produce buying. :) We are down in Mexico for two weeks and our internet has been...hmmmm....flaky. I have a huge midwifery test August 19th and after that we are focusing on homeschool---I can't wait! I am going to read the book you suggested, Liz Bojie is a good friend of mine and she always suggest great books. Anyway, here in Mexico, it's a produce lovers dream...a huge bushel...maybe 100 oranges for about $4. I'll have to blog about it soon. In the States, it seems to even out since we don't eat a lot of meat. And I do seem to hit the store pretty often. Sam's club has carrots, salad and spinach for a good price and the big tubs fit right in our fridge(not the carrots, but the greens) ;). Even though I go to the store more, I still always take a list and stick to it. That is so awesome about your neighbors, most people see a big fam and pull their potted plants inside, lock the door and stare out the blinds. LOL! I really enjoy your blog. :) Whew! Bounced all over on that one, but who knows when we will have internet again!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments! We ask that you please remember due to the nature of Mr. Pilot's business, we do NOT use names for our safety. Your comment will only be published if you use only our nicknames. Thanks for understanding.